From the Golden Pages
Dalsinghsarai has been named after 9th guru of AGHORI named Dalpat singh. Till three decades back, Dalsinghsarai was called as Aghoria Ghachee.
Dalsinghsarai was the Bihar's first railway station.The construction of the first line of the present North Eastern Railway was from Bazatpur (Dalsinghsarai) on the North bank of the Ganga, to Darbhanga with the name of Tirhut Railway. This 51-mile (82 km) long section was built by Col. F.S. Stanton in a record time of 65 days from the day of its conception for moving grain and cattle fodder to the famine hit populace of Darbhanga area. Though, the first train at Darbhanga on April 15, 1874, the line was officially opened on April 17, 1874 by the Lt. Governor of Bengal. During the British period, The Virginia Tobacco Company established a cigarette factory here which got closed down in post independence of India.
Dalsinghsarai has been a center of indigo industry in British days.There were many British indigo planters there and an Indigo research center in 1902. Mr. B. Coventry who owned the Dalsinghsarai indigo experimental farm, was appointed as the first director of PUSA institute in 1904. One of the best indigo factory at Dalsingh Sarai had a vat capacity of 22,000 cub. ft., while each building of a similar character at the five outworks had a measurement of 10,000 cub. ft. A considerable amount of experimental work, chiefly with regard to the production of first-class indigo seed of the Java species, was formerly done at Dalsingh Sarai , since March 1913, been carried on by Government officials in the botanical section of the Agricultural Research Institute at Pusa. The method of manufacture, known as the "Coventry " process, gave to the product the exact proportion of red in the colouring and such excellence had been attained in this direction that Dalsingh Sarai was known throughout the indigo world as the colour factory. A silver medal was awarded at the Paris Exhibition in 1900 to an exhibit sent from Dalsingh Sarai concern, and a certificate of merit for the best indigo was obtained at the Bihar Industrial Exhibition, 1907.
|Glimpses of indigo factory,vats and medals awarded to indigo factory at Dalsingh Sarai, photographs of 1908|
In Mansoorchak, a very near village to the town, there is a mosque called as "Nooree Masjid” by local people. It is believed that while traveling from Calcutta to Lahore, Mallikka Noorjehan stayed at Mansoorchak for six months due to floods. For Ibadat she got this Mosque constructed. The text scribed on the walls in Farsi tells that she thought of constructing a huge mosque of the same design in Lahore when she will reach. A similar mosque exists in Lahore.